incbating duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hdowden, Feb 2, 2012.

1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    how long does it take for cayguas to hatch and how much of a difference is it to hatch ducks instead of chickens as i am only used to hatching chicken eggs

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    anyone help me with this please. i want to get the eggs by march 9th for the easter hatch ( if im correct on incubation time) and would really like some advice please thank you

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Cayugas will take approx 28 days incubation- and not alot of difference with duck eggs. Humidity has to be alot higher at lockdown and they do better laying on their sides being hand turned.

4. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    how many times a day do you turn them?

5. bantiehen

bantiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Montana
    I turn mine 5 times a day

6. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    i turned mine twice a day.
    but i think it was said to do it 4 times a day.. also to keep humidity up every time i turned them i sprayed them with a waterbottle with warm water.

ducks also like to take their sweet little time on hatching!!!! any help on hatching ill be more than happy to help also i have friends on "the thread formaly known as hatch day" who have quite a bit of experance on hatching ducks..
    one think i learn is breath and dont panic.
    Quacker Jacks Farm, Stillmecile and Julie are pretty help full also if you can find 70%cocoa and GrannyCarol they also helped me tons when i hatched the first time..

i had a great hatch success rate 8 ducks hatched out of 9.
    one was a micro who dont usally hatch or survive.
    they are now 7 weeks old and just went outside for the first times this week :p

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  7. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i'm hoping to get them for the easter hatch...depends on what i get for my b-day weather or i will get them then or in 2 months lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by