Incbator is Built

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Flawedatdesign, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Doing an non thermostat run to see about where runs full on. Without the fan right now it 100 degrees on one side and 87 Degrees on the other. Side by the light is 45% humidity and other is 50%.

Forgot to grab store bought eggs for a test run. Can I substitute anything so I can have it ready to go in 2 days?

2. 1shotcleaner

1shotcleaner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    when i set up an incubator i set it on with everything thats going to be there except eggs. then i adjust the temp untill it is where i want it 99.5 for me. check it before bed and let it run all night then when your awake check the temp hard to see when half asleep.if its not right i adjust. and check when i get home from work when its right i add my eggs and in a few days i add water again or at least check it. that works for me and do NOT change the temp after the eggs are put in because it is low the eggs will have to warm up it can take servile hrs to get back to temp, and i add hot water, not cold. this is how i set my incubators up.

3. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    you can use baby food jars full of water, or hair jell, i don't know for sure, i would probably add a thermostat, or dimmer if i were you, it is just a lot safer, to have something regulating the temp so it doesn't get hot and melt plastic and styrofoam, What kind of container are you using?...........you can find out on this forum if you look around where people have tried to get away with not using the thermostat, and in MOST cases it is not a good plan, and it falls through for them

4. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    and you will want a fan

5. Flawedatdesign

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Just put the t-stat in [​IMG] Was going to wire in the fan before the T-stat but can't find it [​IMG]

6. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:and what is the container your using?

7. Flawedatdesign

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Not sure on the size will have to look at another one we have it's a sterilite tote.

2 Manual Thermometers with Hygrometers

1 Exoterra Heat lamp with the shield removed.

1 Plastic Dollar store basket

The hoe Handle I broke earlier in the garden for the turner

The Clear Plastic is from an old 5 gallon Acrylic Fish tank

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  8. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    looks good, you will want the thermostat to be very close to the light bulb, so the temp doesn't fluctuate as much, and you do NEED a fan, when you make a homemade incubator heated by a light bulb, it cant be a still air, it needs to be forced air

9. Flawedatdesign

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Yeah will go buy another fan tomorrow. It's running 107 on the light side and 90 on the other. Should I mount the T=stat on a piece of metal or just to the tote?

10. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:probably the metal, mount it with the back of the thermostat facing the light bulb, about 2 inches from the light bulb, you can also use a piece of a wire hanger, that is attatched to the wall of the incubator, and put the thermostat on the hanger, i hope this makes sense, you just want the back of the thermostat at the most 2 1/2 inches from the light bulb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by