Incessant Chirping!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by max13077, May 9, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a new order of chicks from Ideal this afternoon. They all appear to be OK. Only thing is, a few of them are chirping like crazy, all the time!!! They have food, water, heat etc. I think everything’s right. Any ideas? They just kind of sit there and chirp, look around, and chirp again.

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I think they only chirp if something is wrong, at least that is my experience. it sounds like you have the basics right, any chance they are too hot?

3. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    good or badc they never stop,lol. they lived in my room for 6weeks and they never stopped, the only time u need to worry is when they do it more loud and u'll know something is wrong.lol.

4. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    coltsrox is right, I was assumming it was the alarmed chirping.

5. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Oh didn't anyone tell you? They do that for 1 week. Day and nite! [​IMG]

Nawwwww, just kidding. Have you shown "chirpy" the water, dipped his beak in it and showed him/her the food..........sometimes one chick in a group of 25 will chirp like he/she is lost....they quit real soon unless they are ill.

6. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Now that I posted, they've started to quiet down. [​IMG]

7. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    My first two had a very loud first night, but have calmed down and changed to a cute peep instead. (unless they want to get your attention)

Louella

8. lilcountry

lilcountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    Mine never chirped TOO MUCH, but I had this one chick that did and it was a little smaller than the rest and it died like day 2 [​IMG] It wouldnt never really move around or anything either.

9. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Quote:I had two that did this for 2 days, from my first batch of chicks and they both died. The rest were pretty quiet and they were all fine. I have 4 chicks in the brooder now and they are so quiet. But yesterday, I gave away 8 of the chicks that were in with them and the 4 that are left were freaking out for a couple hours. I wonder if chicks get attached to certain other ones and maybe when their buddy is gone they get upset for a while. Anyway, mine quieted down in just a couple hours after the big change. It could just be the change of a new home and being shipped and all that upset...they'll be fine, I bet!

10. dreammaker8482

dreammaker8482 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Liberty, NC
    Mine have different chirps....theres the hungry, thirsty, bored, scared, hungry, lonely, hungry, i-think-i-can-fly-but-i'm-not-sure, and did I mention hungry?!? [​IMG] Trust me, you will learn which ones mean which!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by