Incessant head shaking. Im at a loss, please I need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LauraG, Dec 10, 2010.

1. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    My Auracana chicken INCESSANTLY shakes her head.

After spending hours on this forum and the internet, it was generally a sign of mites/lice. I did not see any, but went out & got the Ivomec Pour-On.

I dropped the 5 drops on her skin.
    This was last week.

Nothing, no change. It appears to be worse.
    This has been going on for weeks.

I'm totally stressing over this because I cant find anything concrete that points to a specific problem, but I feel something is wrong.
    The other hens are normal.

Poop- mostly formed with a yellow tinge to the uric acid component. No blood.

Feed- Organic layer pellets, treats like BOSS, scratch grains and veggies. I see her eating.

Age- 7 months, not laying yet

Condition- VERY thin. I can feel her breastbone. She is very light. Crop not full. It almost feels hard, but not sure. That was just today, I'd have to make more note of it.

Water- ACV added to water

Bedding- Pine shavings in coop, deep litter. Poop boards cleaned daily

NO signs of Upper Respiratory problems, sneezing, wheezing or open mouth breathing.

I even turned on a heat lamp in the coop for her thinking maybe she is cold, but nooooo, she could care less and hangs outside in the run, and mills around in the snow.

She has never been wormed before the Ivomec pour-on last week. Should I try some Eprinex pour on?

I'm stumped. At a total loss [​IMG]

Does one of you experienced folks have any idea what on earth is going on?? Have you seen this before?

She is an odd chicken, behavior-wise, and I'm almost wondering if this is a tic she's developed? She is not picked on or bullied. Shes a loner. Stands around by herself alot. Sometimes got a droopy wing look about her. First one out of the coop in the am like shes ready to start the day, but........

I have to do what I can if its a medical condition.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Ear infection? Try looking in her ears. Find something non-sharp that fits in the hole and see if any gunk comes out. [​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I did Eprinex pour on AND sevin dust when my chickens were shaking their heads. Then again a week later, more sevin dust.

I wouldn't think Eprinex was better than ivermectin- but maybe you should dust them.
    Mites can be resistant to certain medications in certain parts of the country.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  4. leenie

leenie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    I have one with same symptoms. Staying by herself, and shaking head a lot.
    No sign of lice or mites. She is blinking a good deal as well but I don't see anything in there.
    I have added electrolytes to water today and will give her a bit of bread with olive oil.
    I made up a scrambled egg for her and she ate two bites and left the rest [​IMG]

I'll follow along here for an answer myself.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Seems if it was mites the rest would be acting the same. Did you check in her ears, if your like me thats one part of the chickens anatomy I hardly think about. Hope you can get it resolved.

6. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It sounds like impacted crop to me. My banty had that problem a few months ago after eating straw. She would shake her head and also move her head like she was trying to vomit. Being thin is also what makes me think it could be her crop. Check her first thing in the morning and see if it is still full, it should be empty then. We tried putting oil down her throat and massaging for a few days but resorted to surgery to correct it. I am so glad we did before she got too weak, she has made a full recovery and is doing well now. (No more straw in this coop though). Let me know what you find out and if I can be of any more help. Good luck!

7. ErinG

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Seems like gapeworm could cause a similar symptoms - I would do more research and make sure the wormer you've given will treat for gapeworm. I recently wormed with Valbazen because it was a broad spectrum.

8. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Is she yawning also?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Ivermectin kills gapeworm accoring to Threehorses, who used to be on here a lot, and who obviously knows her stuff. As far as I know. Epinrex, Ivomec and ivermectin are the same thing, and are also a treatment for lice/mites.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=203519

I am seeing a little of the same thing in my lead roo, though not that pronounced, and I have been wondering what was going on, too. Wish I knew. He just had ivermectin, too.

One possibility is favus. Here is a good post about it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33925

10. ErinG

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Favus? I just read up - as if I needed one more ailment to worry about!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by