Incomplete coop cooling issue

CritterHill

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 3, 2008
SE PA
Need opinions.

Our coop is 8x8x 10 feet high and has two 2x2 windows that open halfway. I know that this is not enough ventilation for hot summers - the plan is to build the run to enclose the coop.

That way we can open the large people door and leave it open all day since it just opens into the run - just close it at night.

Well, the coop is done. Run is not. So we can't open the people door.

And we are expecting 96 degree weather this weekend.

The roof is clear corrugated plastic, but it is completely in the shade - zero sun.

Think they will be ok over the weekend? I'll put ice cubes in their waterer and throw some baggies of ice on the floor of the coop for them to cool off with.

I really want to throw away the giant brooder boxes in my living room - but if I have to bring them in this weekend because of the heat in the coop... (not that we have AC in the house anyway)

Think they will be ok?

Any other ideas to cool down the coop?

Pics of the coop in various stages of construction here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=53446

Last edited:
FANS FANS FANS!!! LOL
Get one of those double window exhaust fans they are like $10 put it in one of the windows and open the door and temp. staple some chicken wire or bird netting in the opening so they can get out! I also freeze 2 liter bottles and put them in the coop! the girls love to lean on them!
Good luck! and remember lots of h2o and keep the air moving!

Will get a fan!

DH will freak if I suggest stapling anything temporary to the siding
hmm.png
I know it is just a chicken coop, but I'm not sure he does.

I may override him if the temps start to soar in there though. We have plenty of extra wire fencing.

Here's the problem I have. They say chicken need to avoid drafts, but then we need to use fans to circulate the air. How can we do this? Just a breeze at the top keeping the wind off the birds? Please give me ideas.

We do have openings at the top of the peak, maybe an inch gap, so there is space for hot air to escape.

We may be able to rig something to cover the doorway if the fans and ice bottles aren't doing the trick. We'll be home all day both days this weekend so we will be able to monitor the temp and take action if necessary.

We put chicken wire over a wood screen door so we could open the coop and not have anyone escape,

DIY air conditioner..

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

I myself would add frozen water bottles to the cooler making the water colder; you could then run the fan at a lower speed.

Quote:
That is awesome. I was just on the phone with a neighbor who told me she was throwing out her old window fan and would give it to us instead. Score!

Back
Top Bottom