Inconsistent humidity ok?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by watership, Feb 10, 2013.

1. watership

watership Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    So. Calif
    I am on day 7, and I have 8 eggs in a mini brinsea. I was doing a dry incubation, humidity has been around 30-35%, and since it's been rainy here, I wasn't too worried about it. But I weighed them this evening and they've already lost 7% of their weight. So I added water to one well, and the humidity is now at 60%. Is that a problem, for the humidity to jump around so much? The temp has been very consistent, and I calibrated the hygrometer before starting, so I assume it's accurate.

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

It is bad for the humidity to jump so far from where it was. Usualy a 10%-15% difference won't affect the eggs. But from 35 to 60 is quite a bit. As long as it didn't stay at 60% for too long, don't worry about it. When ever you pour water in the well, do a little at a time: pour some in, wait 15 minuits and check the hydrometer, then pour again if needed. Never pour a large amount at one time. If it was at 60% for less than an hour or two then I wouldn't worry about it. Hope the eggs do ok, good luck!

3. MapleLeaf86

MapleLeaf86 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    DFW, Texas

I learned this on my first attempt, it's good advice. Accidentally spiked it to 80% a few times...

4. Crysalismum

Crysalismum Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2011
    I think it will be fine- any humidity is ok, spikes don't matter, consistent very high humidity throughout will increase DIS/sticky ones

5. watership

Jan 23, 2012
    So. Calif
    I'm confused then as to how humidity works; I thought it had to do with the surface area in the water well, not how much you poured in. So if I add less, the humidity won't be as high?

6. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    Humidity is controlled by surface area along with ventilation - If your humidity spikes after adding water try opening the vents to let it escape.
    The main thing you want to watch is the weight loose - Dial in your humidity to get the weight loose at the correct rate.

7. watership

Jan 23, 2012
    So. Calif
    Ok, that makes more sense to me, to control the humidity with the vents rather than the water well depth. I was trying to reign in weight loss with increased humidity, it was just such a huge spike that I got worried. Its back to 53% today, and I'll weigh them again tomorrow to see if the weight loss hopefully has slowed down.

8. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Do a search on "dry incubation". I don't add any water to increase the humidity until eggs go in the hatcher or "lockdown". Its a pretty successful way to incubate.

1 person likes this.
  9. watership

Jan 23, 2012
    So. Calif
    I did read about dry incubation, which was why I hadn't added any water to the well. I live in So Cal, and even though we had a couple rainy days, the weather was mostly dry, and we had the central heat on, so I think the room humidity was overall low, because the eggs were losing weight too rapidly (at that rate, I think they would have lost about 18% of their weight by lockdown, and I thought I was supposed to shoot for around 13%). I was hoping to not tinker with the humidity, but I think it's too dry here to do a completely dry hatch.

10. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    I was having the same problem in the Northeast - In the fall I hatched dry because the humidity was high naturally - now its winter with the heat on my basement dropped to 10% humidity and the air cells (and weight loss) was to much - filled the water tray and dialed in the air vents on my cabinet incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by