Inconsistent laying in White Leghorn pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bmerb, Aug 6, 2009.

1. bmerb

bmerb In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Fall Creek
    Our leghorn has been laying consistently for about a month, giving us nearly an egg per day. At first she was laying every other day or so, but then settled in and the eggs got big and very consistent.[​IMG] All of a sudden we haven't gotten an egg from her for about 4 days. Our ladies are free ranged, so l locked them up so they couldn't hide the eggs, but still nothing (and everyone else is still laying very regularly in the next boxes). She seems vigorous and perky otherwise, and although we had some REALLY hot days over a week ago, this week has been mild and pleasant... Ideas? Should I be concerned? [​IMG] Thanks!

2. RGEISENDORF

RGEISENDORF In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Sedro-Woolley, WA
    Same thing here. Eggs, Eggs, Eggs. Then for 4 weeks nothing. We had record breaking heat last week ... I guess their just new at it and didn't read the manual. Or as my husband says "maybe they are duds" like a bad firework - they just don't work!

3. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Songster

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Locking the hens up could have caused further delays in laying....

I don't know how... but it seems they can stop laying almost instantly with enviroment changes

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Not long ago we had temperatures in the upper 90's my girls slowed down considerably then. The weather has cooled off some now it's only in the lower 90's and they are laying better. Also I provided a wading pool for them and I hose their run and yard and even spray water on ther dusting areas. I have been putting ice chunks in their water too.

5. RGEISENDORF

RGEISENDORF In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Sedro-Woolley, WA
    Quote:yep lots of ice water. they even stood in it. 104 here was an all time record! we made national news.

6. FluffyColor

FluffyColor Songster

May 31, 2009
    Queens, NY
    Young pullets do that sometimes.Laying is still new to them so they can stop and start.Don't worry.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: