inconsistent laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cbohn80, Jul 15, 2011.

1. cbohn80

cbohn80 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    nj
    one of my hens just started laying, both eggs were a good size and had a strong shell, one was even a double yolker but we've only gotten 2 eggs in the last week. does it take time before they start laying almost daily or should i be concerned? could they be eating the eggs in the coop without leaving evidence? i really want more eggs, they tasted so good

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Its like any new factory she's working the kinks out she will start laying more give her time.

3. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Yes, chickens ARE inconsistent, and yes, it does take them a little bit to get an established laying pattern. Then, hens can lay every day, or 5 eggs out of 7 days, or some other pattern. Some go off a few days now and again. It depends on the breed, age, and outside stresses.

4. cbohn80

cbohn80 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    nj
    oh ok thanks. its a dekalb amberlink, about 19 weeks. its just that it laid 2 eggs in 3 days, then took about 3 days off. oddly enough since i first posted this a few minutes ago she laid an egg. go figure

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by