inconsistent poop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pmcont3, Mar 19, 2015.

1. pmcont3

pmcont3 Out Of The Brooder

We have 18 chicks hatched 5 days ago. We had a couple poops that came out blackish and watery.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Try to watch and see which chick is emitting the unusual poop, although it's normal from time to time to see black ceacal poop which is like molasses, but altogether more rank.

What you should watch for is any chick standing around motionless, which would indicate lethargy and maybe not getting enough to eat for some reason. But the poop sounds more or less normal.

3. pmcont3

thanks

4. Rooster14250

Rooster14250 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    My chicks that hatch in my incubator always have nasty black, watery poop too. It usually goes away within a day or two. I think its normal. Lots of other animals have different poop when they are first born. I think its just their way of cleaning out their system for food.

5. pmcont3

Thanks, I have the chicks on paper towel, at what point could I put pine shavings down and not worry about them eating it?

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Usually by the second or third day, chicks have learned what is food and what isn't. This isn't a guarantee they won't sample everything their beaks encounter, but the danger of having them fill their crops with pine shavings has usually abated by this time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by