Inconsolable Hen, her sister died and she won't stop yelling

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jubilee1111, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Jubilee1111

Jubilee1111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Last week I lost one of my two oldest hens. Now her sister spends hours each day looking for her and calling for her.

She will fly up to a good vantage point and call and look around. I go out and talk to her, pet her, try to distract her with food and she just keeps yelling. This will go on for over 30 minutes, she will calm down and forage and within the hour, starts back up again.

When her other sister died she was upset, too. Just not anywhere close to this degree. These girls were incredibly bonded and it's so hard to see her so upset about it. I've got 19 chickens so it's not like she's alone.

So sad.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Aww that's heart breaking. Chickens really do have special bonds within the flock. I guess it will take some time for the poor old girl to adjust to the loss.

3. AandB

AandB New Egg

Mar 25, 2012
    Awww, thats terrible!

4. Jubilee1111

Jubilee1111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Scratch'n'peck. I am having a hard time with it, too. I loved that girl so much.

It was so cute to watch these BO girls together. Sometimes my LB hen would peck at Stephanie, the one who just died. Steph would walk over and stand next to Ashley, the one who is now so upset. Ashley would then walk over and peck the snot out of the LB hen. She totally stood up for her sister.

5. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    It might take her several weeks. They definitely can form very close bonds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by