Incorporating a brooder area in Woods Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Medda, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Medda

Medda Songster

Dec 5, 2017
    Northern Middle TN
    Hi all,
    I think I want to incubate some eggs from my flock in the future and need some advice on how I can incorporate a brooding area within the Woods coop. Ideally, I would like to be able to move the chicks into the coop/brooder area within the first day or two of hatch (I will have electric at coop and use a Mama heating pad, etc.). The coop is 10'x16' with pop doors on the front left and right corners. The Nest box is mounted on the wall with approximately 20-22 inches of space beneath.

Here is the current interior layout of my Woods coop:
    Woods layout.jpg
    @aart , @Howard E , or @JackE - any thoughts/suggestions how I could fit in a brooder area for about 10 chicks?
    Thanks, Medda (Sharon)

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Mine is not a Woods Coop but this shows what I did. I put the brooder under the roosts and use the top as a droppings board. The brooder doesn't go all the way across so I use plastic bins to catch poop from the roosts.

Brooder Bins.JPG

Medda and aart like this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That was my first thought, under roosts, but then you'd need dropping boards.....
    and not sure if you'd planned for those.

Medda likes this.
  4. imnukensc

imnukensc Songster

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    I'd put it underneath the nest box.

Medda likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That was my second thought....but 16" might be tight space.

Medda likes this.
  6. imnukensc

imnukensc Songster

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    I'd make it deeper than the nest boxes. The laying hens would then have a step into the boxes.

Medda and aart like this.
  7. cholland

cholland Songster

Jan 17, 2017
    California
    You will probably want a solid top where ever you put it. Other bird will want to get on top.
    I have been considering the same thing in my Woods coop and will probably put the brooder area in one of the back corners, under the roost bars.

Medda likes this.
  8. WthrLady

WthrLady Songster

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Mine was under the poop board and went the whole back of the coop under the roosts. 24 inches deep and 8 foot long. Gave mom privacy, and room to run with chicks. Doors and walls were removable for when I had no broody to open the space for all the chickens.

Medda likes this.
  9. JackE

JackE Crowing

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    For my coop, I've built two lightweight temporary walls, with 2X3"s and chickenwire. With them, I block off a 4X6' area (The low roofed area up front), in the front corner of the coop, opposite the entry door. There is a chickenwire door in one wall to access the area. Again, 2X3" framed, with chickenwire, and the door itself, is hinged with chickenwire. The walls go from floor to ceiling, and just tied together with string at the corner. I put a separate water fount, and feeder in there, plus a single nestbox for the broody. This is also what I use, when I introduce new storebought chicks. The older birds get a good look at them for a few weeks, and makes everything go smooth, when the walls come down.

10. pintail_drake2004

pintail_drake2004 Songster

Jun 12, 2017
    IL
    In my breeding/meat coop, I put a temporary brooder in the corner close to the door for ease of observation. I just used the 2 existing walls, and added 2 more walls creating a 5x4' brooder that is 28"' tall on the sides. I built a screened top that is removable, and when I'm done with all the brooding, I just dismantle the whole set up and it hangs on the wall for easy storage.

Medda and WthrLady like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: