incorporating cornish x into the regular flock

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by City Chicken, Dec 7, 2012.

1. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    i have 10 hens/pullets/cockerel.
    i have 9 cornish X who aren't all going to be ready in 2 weeks. i would say 3-4 of them will be, then i would like to incorporate the rest into our regular flock so that they are less work.

i want them to all keep each other warm, feed and drink from the same feeder-- ie cut the work in half.
    i probably have another 4 weeks on these remaining meat birds unfortunately.

the last group i incorporated into the flock did fine, a little hen pecking, but nothing excessive and i don't have a mature rooster so little chance of the hens being abused by one.

thoughts?

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    If they have food available to them 24 hrs a day as you probably have with your other chicken - The cx may eat themselves to death or get so heavy they can't walk. I think most limit feedfor cx to 12 hours each day.

3. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    i don't... because we have a fierce predator problem in the city, the chickens are put away at night in a night coop and on a run during the day- so they have access to food and water only during daylight hours.

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Great, sounds like it will work fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by