1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Increase in egg production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BirdFarmer21, Jun 14, 2016.

1. BirdFarmer21

BirdFarmer21 New Egg

May 24, 2016
    Hello guys I need some help. I have about 160 chickens and we are getting about 30-40 eggs per day. Our chickens are not young all about 1 year old, before we would get around 90-120 eggs a day then all of a sudden they just went down. It's June here now and usually the summer is when chickens are the vast at laying. So then We thought it's because they are thirsty ( because it's really hot here) so we made sure that they always have water and food, but nothing has changed. We have Rhode iSland reds, Isa Browns and black sex links they are very well layers but there's a dramatic decrease please help me!!!!

2. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have anywhere near 160 birds in my backyard flock.

But I can say that right at June 10th, my egg production dropped by 50%. That's also when our daily temperatures went from upper 70’s and lower 80's to 90+ Degrees.

My food intake has dropped and water consumption has gone way up.

I'm in the same boat as you.

If you could lower temperature, maybe use misters, it will probably help.

This is where the corporate egg farms really compete...flip a switch and turn on the air conditioning.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    When it's really warm, chickens don't eat as much, and therefore take in less protein. Egg whites are mostly protein. Do you see the connection?
    To help boost production, switching to a higher protein feed may help.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

For the large flock owner that is great advice...and so logical.

5. liftedduramax

liftedduramax New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    Nebraska
    I have a Tiny flock only 6 Rhode Island reds that used to all lay an egg a day now I'm only getting 3 eggs a day from what seams like the same 3 birds because they're always the same exact 3 shaped eggs every day. So wondering how to boost production too.

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How old are they?

7. liftedduramax

liftedduramax New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    Nebraska
    2 years old

8. liftedduramax

liftedduramax New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    Nebraska
    2 years old

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's normal for production to begin to slow after two years. Switching to a higher protein feed and cutting back on treats may help boost their productivity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by