Increased Hay Prices

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
Has the price of hay increased in your area? My local feed store either doesn't have any hay or the feed stores that do have hay have increased their prices from $7.00 to $11.00 for a bale of hay. Anyone else having problems finding hay or finding hay at increased prices? :barnie

The drought in TX resulted in less hay this past year & has caused high hay prices and even hay theft.

The local news had a story a few months ago that people were having to hire security guards to protect their hay from thieves. Our neighbor was only able to get one hay harvest last year in his pastures - everything just died and nothing new would grow without water. Most of the North TX area is still under severe water restrictions because of the drought.

The drought in TX resulted in less hay this past year & has caused high hay prices and even hay theft. 

The local news had a story a few months ago that people were having to hire security guards to protect their hay from thieves.  Our neighbor was only able to get one hay harvest last year in his pastures - everything just died and nothing new would grow without water.  Most of the North TX area is still under severe water restrictions because of the drought.

WOW! People are having to hire security guards to protect their hay!? WOW!! That's bad.

Sounds like I better stock up for my animals. :(

In Ohio the problem was too much rain. Farmers couldn't get into the fields. Prices here are about average for us though. With the warmer winter this year the livestock hasn't needed as much hay to keep them warm. So the shortage in the hay harvest wasn't as bad as it could have been.
I wouldn't go too crazy stocking up at those prices. Spring is right around the corner so farmers will be dropping prices on what they have left. Well, you better check your area before taking my advice. Up north here prices should start dropping.
I just got HUGE bales of a really green timothy mix. It looks so fresh, like it was just baled. My goats can't chew it fast enough...lol.

In Ohio the problem was too much rain. Farmers couldn't get into the fields. Prices here are about average for us though. With the warmer winter this year the livestock hasn't needed as much hay to keep them warm. So the shortage in the hay harvest wasn't as bad as it could have been.
   I wouldn't go too crazy stocking up at those prices. Spring is right around the corner so farmers will be dropping prices on what they have left. Well, you better check your area before taking my advice. Up north here prices should start dropping.
   I just got HUGE bales of a really green timothy mix. It looks so fresh, like it was just baled. My goats can't chew it fast enough...lol.

Ok, I'll wait for those prices to drop. This weekend is cleaning out nesting boxes and putting in new hay so there goes about 3/4 bale of hay.

I tried to get the round bales for my sheep but for some reason they don't like the round bales. They barely ate any of it. They prefer the square bales of hay.

Ok, I'll wait for those prices to drop. This weekend is cleaning out nesting boxes and putting in new hay so there goes about 3/4 bale of hay.
I tried to get the round bales for my sheep but for some reason they don't like the round bales. They barely ate any of it. They prefer the square bales of hay.

Hi, On the round bales, did you put the roll in the pen? I store the roll in the barn to keep it fresh and pull flakes off to feed.
Check Craig's List for hay. You might be able to find good hay at a fair price.

Here in Florida our hay prices have really jumped. Ranchers are driving from Texas to buy up all of the local hay. Some prices are now $75.00 to $100.00 + for a roll of coastal hay.

Maye

yes the texas drought has caused a mind blowing amount of hay tobe hauled in from any state that had excess hay.between the price of the hay at the farm plus the trucking round bales was selling for $75 to $150 a bale or more depending the quality an type of hay.alalfa is bringing $300 to $400 a ton delivered.

Hi, On the round bales, did you put the roll in the pen? I store the roll in the barn to keep it fresh and pull flakes off to feed.
Check Craig's List for hay. You might be able to find good hay at a fair price.

Here in Florida our hay prices have really jumped. Ranchers are driving from Texas to buy up all of the local hay. Some prices are now $75.00 to $100.00 + for a roll of coastal hay.

Maye

Yes, I didn't put the roll in the pen. I didn't think about storing it and pulling flakes off to feed. After a while, they flattened it out and started sleeping and taking naps on it. So, it didn't totally go to waste. :gig

here the big rounds (1000 lbs) were $20-30 last year, and $75 at their peak this year... small squares of alfalfa are going for as much as $10-12 (55 lbs).
all our excess went to texas, where a friend of mine was paying $125 and up for the big rounds.

prices have started to come down, maybe $50-55 for the big rounds - the mild winter means people have some supply left and prices are easing.

Back
Top Bottom