1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Increasing coturnix egg sizes

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Sill, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    I've had "jumbo" coturnix since April. They were the largest I could find locally, but I know they are not as large as some of the jumbos out there. My adult stock ranges from 6 1/2 ounces to just over 10 for my biggest hen. Yeah, not that big. My egg sizes were ranging from 9-13g with an occasional 14g. My first batch of chicks I set from my biggest eggs, 13-14g. My young birds are bigger, not sure exactly how much since I don't take the time to catch and weigh them.

I do weigh eggs however, and now that my young birds have settled into laying regularly I took the time to average the egg weights. My original stock has averaged 11.8g eggs last week.
    My home-bred birds averaged 13.3g eggs last week.
    So in just one generation I increased the size of my coturnix eggs by a gram and a half! This week I'll be setting some of these bigger eggs, 14-15 grams, and see what increases I get in both egg size and bird size.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Generally larger eggs yield larger birds. Try to breed the largest hens that lay the "largest eggs" to the largest males and you should be able to increase your bird size.

1 person likes this.
  3. Whits End

Whits End Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2014
    So is that all Jumbo Coturnix are? Just regular Coturnix breed for size?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, Jumbos are just large Coturnix quail.

5. Sill

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Yes they are just coturnix bred for size. They are not hybridized with another species.

6. Roxxy

Roxxy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2014
    North Carolina
    I have a small flock of only 8 birds, all females. They are only six weeks old and have been laying for almost two weeks.

They all came from the same batch but one of the hens is a bit larger than the others. Every egg that this larger hen has laid has been between 17 and 19 grams, while the others have been some where between 9 and 12 grams.

I can't believe such big eggs come from such a small bird....lol.

Maybe I should find her a large male and see what we can produce!

7. Sill

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    They would make nice big chicks! Just make sure if you get her a large male not to just have her with him. Coturnix roosters need at least 4 hens so the hens don't get over bred. One rooster can pretty much keep your 8 hens fertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by