Increasing Humidity??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Echoes, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Echoes

Echoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    So my incubators' humidity stays at like 35-39%. I really want to increase but I'm all out of ideas. I have a cup of water in there, it's the biggest one I could fit. So now there is no more room and it's only at 35-39%. Any suggestions on how to raise it?

I have duck eggs in one, and chicken eggs in the other.

2. ourhouse51

ourhouse51 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    SE Oklahoma....
    I use a maxi pad soaked in warm water and lay it on my egg turner.....works every time!

[​IMG]

3. Echoes

Feb 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    My incubator is homemade and doesn't have an egg turner. If I were to do that would it be able to touch the egg? Even though it's wet.

4. Echoes

Feb 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Someone please help. I really need to increase the humidity... especially for the ducks.

5. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I've never heard of the maxi pad thing.. could you stick it to the side with the adhesive strip?? [​IMG]

I add sponges underneath my wire shelf in my LG. Soak them with water. I've heard of people putting washclothes and paper towels in there too. You need a large surface area that's wet , the larger the area , the more it will increase is what I've been told.
    With papertowels you could maybe stick them to the sides so it wouldnt take up room if that is a problem for you.

Good luck!

Nancy

6. Echoes

Feb 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Thanks! I think I'm gonna try that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by