1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Increasing protein in feed

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SuseyQ, Feb 27, 2016.

1. SuseyQ

SuseyQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2016
    When you add supplements to your feed how much do you folks add?

Also I will need to add protein to my 20.5% feed. Does anyone know how much protein (by weight) or volume that I should add per pound of food to increase the protein to about 28%. I know for fish meal they recommend 16# for every 50 pounds of feed. But I know I shouldn't add that much fish meal because I've heard the eggs taste fishy. Any suggestions/advice?

Thank You,
    SuseyQ

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    it depends on the protein percentage of your supplement, then just do the math by weight not volume.

3. SuseyQ

Feb 5, 2016
    Thank you, I'll have to figure that out.

4. JetCat

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama

It's just simple math.

I used to use 24% chick starter mixed equally by weight with 36% fish meal, that gives a 30% protein feed when mixed.

Now I use a 28% that I can get directly from a local mill. saves me a lot of time and hassle!!

5. SuseyQ

Feb 5, 2016
    I wish I had quail feed available locally with the amount of protein I need in it. Oh well I know I'll figure this out. I think the bags said to add 16# of fish meal for a 50 pound bag for 28%. But someone told me if I use all fishmeal for protein the eggs taste like fish.

Thank You,
    SuseyQ

6. JetCat

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    Do you have a local mill?

Mine will do custom mixes on a minimum order of a ton, and the cost is only $400. That lasts me almost 3 months per ton.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by