1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Increasing protein in feed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Jan 5, 2013.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I haven't been able to find much of anything on increasing protein only cutting it.

My situation: I have chickens, ducks and ducklings that all eat in the same area. At my local feed store I can get 16 or 22% layer pellets, medicated 20% starter, 9% scratch or a 13% nine way mix.

Currently, I get the 13% and 22% layer to mix for the adults and starter and 13% for the ducklings (for about 1 week now). I want to start feeding them the same and don't want the ducklings eating layer or the adults eating medicated. I am wondering what others have used.

My options are cat kibble
    I could get fish food.

The store may sell a gamebird grain mix that is 16% and made by one of the mills they by from.

This is info for the game poultry feed from the website, anyone know if this is okay for ducks?
    Formulated for optimum growth, health, and production of game poultry, fortified with added: •Lysine •Methionine •Calcium •Phosphorous •Zinc •Vitamins A, D, & E

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    When I want to pop up the protein for the ducks, I add some dry cat kibble - Eagle Pak. It's 37% protein if I recall.

3. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks Amiga. Is adding cat kibble okay long term? That is one thing I'm concerned with. Storey's Guide is kind of vague about it. Just says not more than 10-15% of diet for a prolonged period.

The easiest thing would be if I could use the "game poultry" feed. Its 16% and I've just started fermenting my feed so it would raise it to just over 17% which would be good except for very young ducklings.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I like the easy route, myself. I don't give cat kibble all the time. I add it in the fall when the ducks molt (they take turns, you know, with a maximum of three ducks at a time molting, so it takes months for everyone to go through it), sometimes as a treat in winter.

I also give mealworms sometimes, and those are proteinaceous. Is that a word?

Half the year there are slugs and worms and grubs, so there are bunches of additional protein snacks in their diet.

5. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Why don't you want the ducklings eating 22% layer? I feed all my chickens, chicks, ducks, and turkeys 20% vegetarian chick starter.

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    There is thought behind high protein and wing disorder known as Angel Wing in waterfowl

7. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Growing birds should never be fed layer feed. It has too much calcium and can cause organ or skeletal problems or even death.

As stated, my only option for higher protein feeds are medicated starter or layer. I am looking for an option that I can increase a 13% protein feed with such as cat food, fish food etc. Or to see if anyone has experience using the game poultry feed that I found.

8. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    I feed my ducks a combination of layer feed, cat kibble, grains, and try to give them fresh greens daily if possible. If they can forage also they will get the protein they need by eating worms, slugs and bugs. If my ducks don't get their "salad" everyday they make a big racket when they see me even if their food hopper is full!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Amiga how do you feed the cat kibble? do you grind it up or feed as is?

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Right now I'm feeding my peafowl some cat food in addition to their feed. I just feed it as is. It's actually seemed to cure them of their feather picking issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by