Increasing the flock, one tiny chicken left.

SCDB

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2016
I've been using this website for a while, but am posting for the first time.

We had some predator problems and only one tiny bantam-sized barred rock survived. I've read not to put chickens of disparate sizes together. We'd like to increase the flock, but don't want her to get bullied to death. Are there any good strategies for adding a couple or three layers without putting her at risk?

Thanks,
DB

It's best not to mix bantams and large breeds though sometimes it works out okay. Are you looking to get older birds or chicks? Adding some younger birds can work out better and your bantam would probably keep her position as top bird that way and shouldn't be bullied. I would add some that are 8-12 weeks preferably. Make sure your coop and run are roomy, as crowding or not having enough space to burn off extra energy can lead to aggressive behaviors and make integration harder than it needs to be.

Invest more in predator proofing through early next spring, then get more chicks of a breed everyone agrees will not harass your survivor. She will do fine her self until chicks brought into mix.

If you buy docile hens of bigger breeds she will be fine...I have my Bantam hen ''Alice'', the only small Chicken I have..She lives happily with ten other Big birds...Orpington, Speckled Sussex, Brahma, EEs, Ameruacana...Her best buddy is my Ameruacana...
Just follow proper introduction and it will work out fine..Being she is alone the new birds should accept her right away being it is a new place....
Edited by staff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice, all. I am upgrading our security--new electric fence charger. In the meantime, it sounds like some younger pullets of tamer breeds--Orpingtons and Rocks seem most often mentioned as easy going? There's a lot of space available to them (30'x17') and lots of obstacles and hide aways. I'll have to put in a temporary set up for the newbies.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice, all. I am upgrading our security--new electric fence charger. In the meantime, it sounds like some younger pullets of tamer breeds--Orpingtons and Rocks seem most often mentioned as easy going? There's a lot of space available to them (30'x17') and lots of obstacles and hide aways. I'll have to put in a temporary set up for the newbies.

Thanks again.
Is the coop that big?
What is your climate?

Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Chicken Juggler,
The fenced in area for the chickens is 30'x17' more or less. There's half a dozen small structures--hutches, adapted barrels, etc. for laying--and a single 2 1/2' x 4' chicken house for roosting and sleeping, plus feeder, water-er, a couple piles of brush, a good-sized oak tree, a couple piles of cinder blocks/bricks. Lots of stuff to play with, hiding spaces, and good scratching opportunities--
just at the moment, not enough chickens.
I'm in SC, so it's hot and muggy in the summer, snowless and seldom below freezing in the winter.
Thanks for the thread link. This website is an invaluable resource, and I noticed last night a number of threads about adding new birds to a one or two chicken flocks. I've only had chickens for a year or so--and I've only had these miniature barred rocks, so I'm reading all I can.

DB

Orpingtons are really nice mellow birds. My buff orpingtons are mellower than my white Orpingtons by far, which surprised me actually. Also my Australorps are super sweet birds. I've only had chickens a few years so I've been trying out different breeds to see which I like best. The buff orpingtons and the black Australorps are the sweethearts of the flock. Never pick on anybody, easy to handle from baby chicks, just happy to hang out.

Chicken Juggler,
The fenced in area for the chickens is 30'x17' more or less. There's half a dozen small structures--hutches, adapted barrels, etc. for laying--and a single 2 1/2' x 4' chicken house for roosting and sleeping, plus feeder, water-er, a couple piles of brush, a good-sized oak tree, a couple piles of cinder blocks/bricks. Lots of stuff to play with, hiding spaces, and good scratching opportunities--
just at the moment, not enough chickens.
I'm in SC, so it's hot and muggy in the summer, snowless and seldom below freezing in the winter.
Thanks for the thread link. This website is an invaluable resource, and I noticed last night a number of threads about adding new birds to a one or two chicken flocks. I've only had chickens for a year or so--and I've only had these miniature barred rocks, so I'm reading all I can.

DB
Making sure the bantam has a place that is weather tight and maybe with doors to small for the larger birds to get into will help.

Thanks for the friendly welcome and advice. We're going to build a new integration pen to hold the new birds and see what 6 week oldish birds are available at the fair this weekend. A couple smaller pullets seem like the way to go. And some various sized doors--I'm think I get what's needed.

Back
Top Bottom