Incredibly brooding brahma

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cadbury22, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Cadbury22

Cadbury22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2016
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

This is a picture of my light brahma hen. She is a little over a year old and has been broody three times! She was recently groody in may and just went broody yesterday! Is this standard with this breed?? Anyone else with incredibly broody hens? Advice? Thanks

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Someone else posted that sometimes high calcium increases broodiness in chickens and that may be why.
    I had a chicken that laid 4 eggs only and went immediately broodie for the rest of the summer. She also was always eating in the crushed oyster shells I had in the run.
    Caroline

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What do you do when she goes broody?
    Give her eggs to hatch?
    Break her from her broodiness in some way...if so, how?
    Or just let her sit until she gets over it?

4. Cadbury22

Feb 15, 2016
    North Carolina
    I tried to break the broodiness with no success. Due to my small coop I am not able to have any more chickens so I can't give her eggs or chicks. I just let her break it naturally which takes a full 3 weeks.

5. Cadbury22

Feb 15, 2016
    North Carolina
    Thanks for responding. I have been out of town. I do give oyster shells. I guess I will cut back with her.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They don't not always 'break' right at 3 weeks.....unless you give them fertile eggs to hatch or day old chicks to raise.
    Some birds will stay broody for months and can lose so much condition that they become very ill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by