Incredibly simple 4x4 copp

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gator75, Apr 2, 2016.

1. gator75

gator75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Limited on time. I have an area about 4x4 walled on 2 sides. I want the absolutely most simple coop design I can find to accommodate 2 hens.

Anyone have any pics or ideas.

2. gator75

Aug 25, 2012
    Well, almost done. I didn't go simple and I didn't go quick, but it will be heaven for a few lucky hens. Ended up with a 7.5 x 4.5
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Good for YOU! you really did a lot in a short time.....

When I was managing projects we used to have a saying 'you can have it fast, you can have it good, you can have it cheap -- pick any two" Just made me think of it -- because you did it FAST and GOOD!

Hope your chickens will be very happy in it...

4. gator75

Aug 25, 2012
    Thanks, since I'm a general contractor, I even did it almost cheap as I had a fair amount of the materials left over from job sites!

5. ChicKat

There you go!! it all adds up - When are your chickens moving in?

ETA - just had a major building project here -- and my GC was great -- I always snagged good materials -- and there were plenty. I need to put a time limit on how long they sit around though -- time goes so fast. What a good set of skills to have in the world of chickening! being able to contstruct stuff (and it comes out good)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  6. gator75

Aug 25, 2012
    This afternoon I'm picking up my pullets. Not even sure what breed, but I think one buff, one Americana, and one barred rock maybe. Being given to me. They are 2 months. I just hope they all turn out to be hens.

I think I have about 175.00 into the coop.

7. ChicKat

Pretty amazing....

Hope that you get pullets too! Maybe by 2 months old their gender will be discernable! My first breed Cream Legbar is autosexing -- so I pretty much know from hatch M/F -- with other chicks from other breeds I have -- I look at the size and color of the comb as they grow out -- and if the feet are BIG and the shanks look thicker, then I am suspicious that they aren't girls -- The combs on females should be small and very light pink or tan at that age IMO.
    [​IMG]

ETA - btw, I think that getting started pullets is the best way to get started with chickens. Chicks in a brooder are cute etc. but I think that by age 2-weeks they need quite a lot of work for the next two weeks to keep the feed and water clean....

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  8. unionhillchix

unionhillchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2014
    canon ga
    Very nice coop! Need to build one like this for some Old English Game that I am getting this week. [​IMG]

9. ChicKat

A little bit away from the topic - but a question you may be able to answer. I had a single chick hatch -- and went to the feedstore to buy a companion for that chick to grow up with. All the other chicks I have are 2-weeks older to about 9 weeks older.

I bought an OEGB - and the information I found says that they tend to go broody, be good mother hens and don't lay many eggs. -- If (and I hope I picked out a she) were to go broody, how many full sized eggs could she cover? Size from research says these hens will reach 20-22 ounces. Little! Wanted to make sure that the new chick I got wouldn't beat up the 2-day old....and the now the 3-day old is bigger than this 2-week old.

10. TxAg11

TxAg11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Looks great!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by