InCrest Hill, Illinois fowl is legal

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Brittany0309, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Brittany0309

Brittany0309 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    I wanted to post for anyone else who may have an issue that this is the exact email sent to me by the village after they initially told me my ducks and chickens were illegal. Hopefully it will help others in the future!

Brittany,

My apologies, after reading the ordinance again and speaking with the building department, I see that I misspoke.

Crest Hill residents can keep chickens/ducks in the City on private property as long as they are penned and not allowed to roam freely.

My apologies and please feel free to contact the Building Department if you have any questions.

Web Administrator, City of Crest Hill,IL

tel: 815-741-5100 │fax: 815-744-5109

www.cityofcresthill.com

I want to add that Joliet, Illinois fowl ordinances are the exact same as Crest Hill's so that may help those of you living there as well.

2. agrippina

agrippina Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2011
    Hi Brittany,

I live in Joliet, and we just got a letter from the city saying our chickens were illegal. It asks me to call the Zoning person, but before I do that I'm trying to find as much evidence as I can to the contrary.

May I ask how you know specifically that Joliet's ordinances are the exact same? I know we looked all of this up before we got the chickens, but somehow the information has mysteriously disappeared.

3. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Are you in unincorporated Joliet, by any chance?

I can't imagine it's illegal, there's an Ameraucana breeder there.

Call or stop by the Tri-county stockdale, they sell chicks. I bet there's someone there who can give you info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by