Incubate eggs?

fc

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 24, 2010
I bought duck eggs from someone who refrigerated them for eating purposes. She does not know if they are fertile? If they are fertile, would they hatch since they've been in the refrigerator? Thanks.

They might or might not. You can break one open and look for fertility (pics here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008). If the first or second one you crack is fertile, there's a good chance some or all of the rest are.

If they're fertile, the next question is how old are they. If they're less than a couple weeks old, then there's a good chance you can still hatch them. People have successfully hatched eggs purchased at the grocery store, so anything is possible. Most likely the hatchability will be lower than eggs that were never refrigerated, but you probably can still hatch some of them.

Let us know how it goes!

She collects eggs daily so they would not show signs of fertility yet.
Charlotte- nice place!

I just hatched out 6/6 runner eggs, fresh from someones fridge. He was selling them as eating eggs, I asked about incubating them and he gave them to me free. Now he is selling them for hatching also.
smile.png

I also was hatching along with the New Years Hatch and someone hatched out 3 chicks from Trader Joes eggs. So you would have a chance. Doesn't hurt to try.....
fl.gif

Charlotte's all right--the weather's good and the people are good. A bit too uptight and banker culture for our taste--we need a university town. But it's a good place for now.
smile.png

As for fertility, you can actually tell the moment the egg is laid whether it is fertile or not. Check out the link I posted above--it shows pictures of the yolk of a fertile vs. an infertile egg. You do have to crack them open to tell, but you can test a couple to get a good idea of whether the others are.

Good luck if you decide to try!

Back
Top Bottom