incubate my own eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by snowcone, Oct 13, 2011.

1. snowcone

snowcone Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    how long do i have to collect eggs from the box before i get them in the bater, and is there a way to tell if they are fertile.

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

You should collect your eggs at least once a day whether they be for eating or hatching. Hatching eggs can be collected for up to ten days before they start to loose viability. You can place hatching eggs in cartons, pointed side down and keep them in a cool place such as a pantry or closet until you are ready to place them in the incubator.
    To tell fertility you either have to wait until you candle your eggs or if you have plenty of extras you can break a few open and see if you have the tell tale bulls eye of the blastoderm which is the small spot on the yolk. A good bulls eye means that the egg is fertile.

3. snowcone

Nov 14, 2010
    Quote:We do collect every day and put in the frig. My niece wants to incubate some for a school project. She just needs to know the process to hatch them out. thanks

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Keep eggs in cool area 45-60 best. Turn eggs everyday while waiting to be set. A high humidity is also better.

Hatchability starts to decrease after 7 days, which is probably why the big hatcheries function on a 7 day cycle.

GL

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If you're wanting to hatch your eggs it's best to keep them out of the fridge. Collect them and put them pointy end down in an egg carton, and keep the carton in a cool place. For best hatchability, round about 55F is ideal but 10 degrees or so either way is okay. You don't need to turn them for the first week, but if you're going to be storing them for any longer, you should turn them once a day after the first 7 days. If you want to turn them right from the start, just so you won't forget to do it after a week, it won't do any harm. Do it by tipping the egg carton on its end and placing a thicck book or a block of wood under it, so the carton's at an angle. That way you don't need to touch the eggs. The less handling you do of them, the better, and it's a good idea to always scrub your hands with an antibacterial soap first every time you do have to handle them...

I've stored eggs for over three weeks and still had good hatches, but ten days or less is best if you want maximum hatchability.

Good luck to your niece.

6. snowcone

Nov 14, 2010
    Thanks for all your info. If you have anything else send it my way.
    Quote:

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I store my hatching eggs in the automatic egg turner. If you have one, take it out and plug it in. Like Gypsy said, you don't absolutely have to turn them the first week or so, but it does not hurt. With the egg turner, I don't even have to think. That's nice!

8. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:I would never have thought of that. Great idea...

Snowcone, have a look at this link: gallus.tamu.edu/library/extpublications/b6092.pdf

Edit: Okay, so it's not showing up as a link. You'll have to copy and paste it into your browser.

Also go to Brinsea's website and download their free incubating guide.

These two places are where I got most of my knowledge from [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  9. h4ppy-chris

h4ppy-chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
  10. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ah, someone who knows more about computers than I do. Which isn't difficult really. [​IMG] LOL! Thanks for posting that properly.

And yes, it's a fabulous read. I can't remember who it was that pointed me towards it, a fellow BYC'er is all I can recall, but I immediately printed it off and read through it about a dozen times. Found it VERY helpful, especially the section about humidity with regards to storing eggs. I keep that dog-eared copy in my filing cabinet now and still read through it every so often just to remind myself of certain things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by