1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubate or Natural?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chixrus, Mar 23, 2009.

1. chixrus

chixrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    i am going to breed my light brahmas. the problem is, i don't own an incubator and don't really know how to use one. Sooooo, do i let one of my hens hatch them or do i incubate them myself?

ADVICE, PLEASE!!

Anna

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Do any of your hens go broody? That would be the first determining factor. If so, why not make use of their motherly skills. If not, then articifical incubation may be your only choice.

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    the hen will do it but has to be broody and that is a only if they are in a mood thing not on your command. Incubating can be done on your terms...yes there is a cost involved...it is not that hard to do...they come with directions and folks here do it all the time

4. chixrus

Oct 24, 2008
    i don't know if mine go broody, usually i collect the eggs WAY too often, so the poor hens never get a chance, but i decided i wanted to try hatching. how much does an incubator cost? i have silkies, do they go broody?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  5. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    You have silkies?, what the heck are you worried about:lol: they will do the work for you!

6. chixrus

Oct 24, 2008
    really? cool! they haven't started laying yet, but i wanted to wait a little bit anyway, thanks!

7. Chihuahuamom

Chihuahuamom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    Silkies will not only hatch their babies, they will steal a nest from another hen and hatch those to ! My silkie ends up with babies that look nothing like her cause she rolls eggs right out of another hens nest and into hers when the other hen goes to eat, quite comical.

8. chixrus

Oct 24, 2008
    i have a hen that i think is broody. i would like to hatch turkey eggs, but i would like to know how many turkey eggs she can hatch (she's a BO) and how to go about putting them under her. thanks!

9. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    thats going to be one confused turkey!!! [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I read a humorous account of putting duck and geese eggs under a chicken broody. Apparently Mama Hen freaks when at a few days old her "chicks" head for the first mud puddle they can find. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by