Incubater is working *pictures now*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JohnCT, Jul 24, 2011.

1. JohnCT

JohnCT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    NW CT
    After reading the posts, and seeing the homemade incubaters made out of the foam coolers, and having become some what addicted, have decided to give it a try myself.

I have had it running since about 8am, averaging 99.5 to 100.8 at the high, humidity is running between 38 and 45% with no water added, outside temp 80 with 75% humidity, going to add a small container and a small fan to try and stabilize things a little more, just add the egg turner and add eggs [​IMG]

I'll post pictures of the "creation" later

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    lol yeah after you build your first you start looking at things different. Like hmm I wonder how many eggs that chest would hold lol.

Good luck on the builds it seems like your off to a good start.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Good luck and have fun!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I gotta see some pics! [​IMG] Good Job on the incubator. Also, can you get some nice pics of the thermostat and heating element for us to see, that's what i like seeing.

5. loopy119

loopy119 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    Yeah, I built my own a couple years ago after getting ideas from here! I used an old ice chest! It served me great (and still does) but now I only use it for lockdown with chicken eggs. I have been using my LG incubator for a while now because the turner holds more eggs. Good luck with your project!! It's VERY rewarding seeing chicks hatch in a bator you built yourself!!

6. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:You're still a "New Egg" and you have been on BYC since 2009.

7. loopy119

loopy119 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    I joined back then and have been lurking off and on lol! But I've had chickens for years and years and I just recently have been raising my coturnix quail. I got back on looking at quail info, and decided to start posting a little. Haha!

8. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Ayda

9. JohnCT

JohnCT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    NW CT
    Pictures
    The lid is a piece of glass from a broken frame, carved a shelf in the foam and installed it with caulk:
    [​IMG]

Inside is hardware cloth, I cut close to one edge and use the tails left to bend over and assemble the pieces, it is a one piece unit that can be lifted out, removes all the electronics so the inside can be cleaned easily, the fans will be installed in the space next to the bulb and under the tray, there is also a place for a small container of water. Egg turner will be a 1 piece drop in for the same reason(pictures as soon as I weld it):
    [​IMG]

The heat and thermostat, a 60w bulb, a lower water heater thermostat (the only piece I had to buy), and a zip tie. The foil is foil tape we use for duct work, one layer on each side to keep the direct heat off:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  10. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by