incubater or hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aaronsroosters, Aug 22, 2013.

1. aaronsroosters

aaronsroosters Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    im am thinking about hatching some eggs and wanted to know if to use a incubator or my hens

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I use both. Some times hens arn't reliable and same with a incubator.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I prefer a broody. Actually I don't own an incubator. I feel they do better, grow better and are healthier if they grow up with a mama hen, in the flock. The trouble is, you have to wait til you get a broody -- if you do.

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    A broody is nice if you have one. I have homemade incubators for back ups as well.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I prefer to use a broody, but they don't always want to go broody on my schedule. The nice thing about a broody is, the temperature and humidity are always just right, you don't have to turn the eggs or worry about "lockdown". And once the chicks are hatched, the mama will teach them to eat, drink and be chickens. But if I want chicks at a certain time and none of my hens is cooperative, I will use an incubator.

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Here is my latest home made hatcher made out of a throw-a-way box found on a burn pile 25w bulb.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by