Incubatiing for the first time in almost 5 years, need help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mommysongbird, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Hey Everyone, it's been a while since we incubated eggs in an actual incubator, so I need a little help with the thermometer and hygrometer. I have this set and I hope someone else does as well so they can tell me a little bit about them.

[​IMG]

First of all, what is the best way to calibrate each of them? I tried ice water in a plastic bag for the thermometer and everything I have found online says to leave the thermometer in the bag only 30 to 60 seconds, is this right?

Next, I noticed on the thermometer that there is a C/F near the bottom (its the gold one there) and I know that the C stands for Celsius and the F stands for Fahrenheit, BUT is the Celsius the numbers on top or bottom???

Next if you have these, are they adjustable?? If they are off, can they be adjusted and if so, How??

One last thing, our incubator is a still air, but it does have a fan that we put in.

We also have the thermometers that can with the incubator, and I will probably use them as well.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Bottom numbers are celcius on the thermometer. Their zero is our 32 (freezing point.) It should only take a minute or so to regulate to ice water, but shouldn't need more than a couple minutes. For the hygrometer, the salt test is the best, you can find the how to here: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigar-101/article/29/salt-test
    99.5 is the temp for forced air. And make sure you check the thermometers with the bators as well because they are known to be off. Good luck on your hatch!

1 person likes this.
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’ve had inconsistent results with the ice water method. The way I rely on is to take a medical thermometer that reads in the range we are looking at and put that in the incubator with the thermometer I’m testing. I use an old one that just gives you a high, doesn’t drop if the temperature drops, so you have to take a little care. I’m not sure how you would use these new medical thermometers where they touch or swipe. Some of the thermometers I’ve checked were off up to 3 degrees so you do need to check them against something you trust.

I’m not familiar with those. Can you tell the make and model? Maybe you could find instructions online or call or email the manufacturer to get answers to your questions.

From experience, don’t put any faith in the thermometer that came with it without calibrating first.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Okay, I thought that was right, bottom numbers being Celsius. You would think they would put the F over the C instead. :/

So I have it sitting on top of a baggie of ice inside of another baggie, and the 30 to 60 seconds did nothing, the needle just barely moved off of 60* F, downward. So now I have set the time for a full 60 minutes, we are 5 minutes in and the thermometer is down to 42* F. I think I might be going to buy new thermometer and hygrometer. :/ I haven't tested the hygrometer yet, but will in a few minutes.

Thanks for the info and link

5. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Thanks, I wish I could remember what brand these are, but I don't. I know I got them at the pet store though and I don't think they carry them anymore.

The ones that came with it have always been off, so I know they aren't any good. LOL

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You would think wouldn't you? I noticed that when I enlarged the picture and shook my head. lol

1 person likes this.
  7. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    haha

Well I ended up using a candy thermometer, will this work?? I also found a BRAND NEW IN PACKAGE terrarium thermometer / hygrometer all-in-one. Its the same ones we use in my son's reptile enclosures. I put in the incubator about 20 minutes ago, so I will see how it goes.

But back to the candy thermometer. I put it in along with the 2 crappy ones that come with the incubator, and the candy thermometer has stayed at the 99* degree mark for about the last 4 hours or so. The other 2 have been about the same, staying in range. Now I am going to leave the other one in there to see how well it does. I will most likely set eggs in the morning. Hope some are fertile. :)

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I've seen quite a few people use the repto ones many actually recommend them. I have never used a candy thermometer, but I am sure someone has....lol

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by