Incubating 3rd attempt

Shadow722

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 28, 2013
Outlying Oklahoma City
From my 2nd attempt I got 8 chicks out of my last run from my own eggs. I had 12 from my own chickens of which 8 hatched 1 chick wouldn't eat so it died 6 days later. Out of the 15 eggs I had shipped none hatched.

I am now on my 3rd attempt. I have 22 Blue Splash Maran eggs I ordered. 8 Blue Splash from my own chickens and 11 Golden Lace Wyandotte from my chickens. Today is day 10. I haven't candled or opened the incubator the humidity seems to be steady right now as well as temperature and I think I just want to leave it alone this time. The breeder I got my eggs from told me that the Maran breeds require lower humidity levels and take a few extra days than many other breeds to hatch. So I am trying to keep around 45% and no higher than 50% this time. I have only added water once and it has been steady for about 6 days so I think I am not going to open and candle until the humidity levels require more water.

Last edited:

Shadow722

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 28, 2013
Outlying Oklahoma City
I candled just a couple eggs and they looked very promising. Day 15 now. I get just a little anxious like when I was waiting for our babies, but nowhere near that level. 9 months of waiting is much worse than 21+ days. If I get a good hatching going to sell many of them.

Shadow722

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 28, 2013
Outlying Oklahoma City
5 so far out of the 41 I started with hatched. I removed 7 eggs at day 18 that didn't have a dark spot or air pocket.
These are the Blue Splash Marans.

Top Bottom