incubating and hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yasmin, Apr 9, 2012.

1. yasmin

yasmin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Birmingham uk
    I have bought a new incubator and put my buff orpington eggs in and its day 3 and i want to candle my eggs but not sure what to look for or even if its too early to candle yet can anybody tell me please!!!

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    [​IMG] Generally I wait until day 5 or 7 to candle. You will see "spider webs" on the inside. Thats the baby chicks blood vessels. If the embryo has died you will see a blood ring in the egg. Oh and dont for get to remove rotten eggs before they explode.

3. abbylane35

abbylane35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Lodi, New York
    I generally hold off until day 7, then candle again on day 14, and then on day 18, right before I lock the incubator down. If there is no veining in eggs, I take those eggs out at day 14. Good luck!

4. yasmin

Apr 9, 2012
    Birmingham uk
    thankyou for replying i am just so worried i spent alot of money on the incubator and its my first time and keep looking at the eggs making sure the temperature is right and i want to see whats happening inside.

5. yasmin

Apr 9, 2012
    Birmingham uk
    i have a pair of buff orpingtons and a light sussex which isnt laying at the moment and a dark brown hen someone gave me and she lays light blue eggs dont know the breed but the question is ive seen the buffs mating but never with the other 2 but i have 3 of the brown hens eggs in the incubator do you think im worrying for nothing my husband thinks i am.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by