incubating at high altitude

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Yolkmountain, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Yolkmountain

Yolkmountain Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Tijeras, New Mexico
    I am lucky to live on a beautiful mountain top (7200 ft). The view is great unless you are looking in the incubator for hatching eggs. I am also battling humidity since I am in a high desert area. I have had only 2 eggs hatch out of several tries with a full incubator. I have more in the incubator currently, going into lockdown today...any suggestions would be appreciated! Temp has been holding steady, humidity tops off at around 33. too stubborn to quit but certainly frustrated....Dawn

2. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Gotta get that humidity up! I have a Genesis, and try to maintain 55-60 for days 1>18, and top it off when it drops to 50. For the last 3 days, I try to maintain 75-80, and top it off when it drops to 70. And I don't use the vent plugs.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I gave up. Only had a few ducks hatch, and had major issues. Now I let my broody momma duck do it. I can't even hatch quail and they are supposed to be like cockroaches. Fortunately I have a broody quail too.html

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

WE have talked a lot about the O2 level affecting incubation. Told someone earlier this year how to build a parabolic chamber for there incubator to see if that helped.

Just a sealed container(bucket, barrel ect) with the incubator in it an a two hoses going in to it. One with a fish tank air pump pumping air in an one stuck down in water regulating pressure.

5. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Talk to DAK, she incubates here in NM and is a veterinarian.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Hey...what about one of the aquarium aerators inside my water container? It should help with both humidity AND oxygen...maybe???

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

If you pump outside air in to it it would actually hurt humidity. If you put the whole pump in the incubator it would help humidity. For O2, short of blowing a O2 tank across the eggs nothing but raising the air pressure is going to help. Its not that O2 is being used up its that its to spread out to be used effectively by the eggs an hatching chicks...

I think I would try a hatch where I opened up the top of the eggs my self on day 18 an see what happened. I would think they would dry out quicker but would use O2 better.

8. Yolkmountain

Yolkmountain Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Tijeras, New Mexico
    thanks for the help. I think we will try the airstone in the water pan. This should help with the humidity and O2 level. Geeeeez and I thought baking at this altitude was a pain! Makes me grateful for the 2 little miracle chicks I have

9. robin127

robin127 Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    El Paso County, Colorado
    I have also noticed eggs layed at lower altitude have a very,low hatch rate when I ship them to altitude. Not scientific, but an issue I think.

10. robin127

robin127 Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    El Paso County, Colorado
    I have also noticed eggs layed at lower altitude have a very,low hatch rate when I ship them to altitude. Not scientific, but an issue I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by