Incubating Black Copper Marans

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marlene, Oct 8, 2011.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    This is my 1st time incubating black copper marans and just wondering what is the best way to see through these dark eggs? Also do they normally hatch on time or early or late?.
    Is this a breed that grows fast once hatched? would love for any advise on this breed that any one may have as iv'e never had this breed.
    Thanks in advance [​IMG]

Ps i currently have production reds, ixworth(english breed), silkies and pekin(cochin) mix.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know about their growth rates; I'm on my first batch of Marans as well! I bought a small high-intensity flashlight in the Sporting Goods section at WalMart, and I can see enough through the dark shells to know if the air cell is developing as it should. As far as I can tell, there is only one doubtful egg. [​IMG] Mine go into lockdown on Monday, so we'll soon see how well they've done. [​IMG]

3. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Hi cattitude,
    let me know how your hatch goes and if they hatch on time, early or late. Good luck [​IMG]

4. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I have read they tend to drown more than others so dry incubation works best. This is my first batch too. I have 150 lumens flashlight and I could see veins, but I will candle them all tomorrow [​IMG]

I keep my humidity around 30-35% and at lockdown no more than 60% and have had great hatches. 28/31 and 13/14 so we will see what we get with this hatch.

Good luck!

5. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm doing the dry incubation too. Last batch, out of the 11 who made it to lockdown, all 11 hatched. Since I live near a major river and loads of creeks and ponds, room humidity is usually good. I keep a hygrometer so that if they get below 30%, I'll add a little water via the aquarium tubing. So far, so good. [​IMG]

6. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:x2!

7. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Hi [​IMG]
    I just hatched some BCMs from Charm 1704 - Glenda. They piped - all of them a day early and I used a dry incubation for them. This might have made the membranes slightly tough so I would monitor them closely when they pip! I will post a pic so you can start getting really excited about the precious fuzzies [​IMG] acomin [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Melissa Rose

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Here's peeking at you guys [​IMG] [​IMG] Happy Hatching [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Hi Melissa Rose, thanks for the pic, they are adorable. With out making myself look really stupid here, are the chicks not born black?

10. Melissa Rose

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    The black ones in the back peeking out are Black Copper Marans. The silver one up front is a Spalsh Copper Marans. The silver and yellow chicks toward the front sleeping are lavendar orpingtons [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by