Incubating calls--Day 27--Now What??

Peanut59

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 7, 2012
I have had my call duck in the incubator for 27 days, locked down the past 3 days. No pipping at all. What do I do now? wait? break the lockdown and candle?

Patti

Ducks are supposed to take 28 days, more or less…. calls can be tricky from what I read here.

One member wrote a while back he always has to help his calls hatch but he has a great success rate. I wish I could remember exactly who that was. drat.

See if this helps

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/764455/how-to-hatch-call-ducklings-updated-questions

There is also a Call Duck thread and I think they talk about hatching issues sometimes
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/292411/da-cute-and-cuddly-call-duck-thread/1130

Last edited:
Noticed 2 pipped yesterday (Sat.) morning..just cracked egg spot..no hole at all..very quiet. After no progress, I made a hole last night, misted the eggs and left them. This morning still no progress, but I could hear peeps. A few minutes ago I peeled back the shell at the top and noticed 2 sacs. I pulled off the thick white sac around the top, and the duckling was in a slimy sac partially stuck to it, unable to move. I carefully took the sac off and the duckling stretched out. I was careful not to pull any part of the sac that looked bloody on the inside. I misted the baby and egg placed it back in the incubator. I opened the end of the other egg, hoping it will get out on its own. I also misted the other eggs. Humidity is staying at 65%, temperature 99.5.

I am worried that the rest of babies are trapped in the eggs. What should I do now?

Noticed 2 pipped yesterday (Sat.) morning..just cracked egg spot..no hole at all..very quiet. After no progress, I made a hole last night, misted the eggs and left them. This morning still no progress, but I could hear peeps. A few minutes ago I peeled back the shell at the top and noticed 2 sacs. I pulled off the thick white sac around the top, and the duckling was in a slimy sac partially stuck to it, unable to move. I carefully took the sac off and the duckling stretched out. I was careful not to pull any part of the sac that looked bloody on the inside. I misted the baby and egg placed it back in the incubator. I opened the end of the other egg, hoping it will get out on its own. I also misted the other eggs. Humidity is staying at 65%, temperature 99.5.

I am worried that the rest of babies are trapped in the eggs. What should I do now?

Don't mist them, not when they Are in lock down..

Noticed 2 pipped yesterday (Sat.) morning..just cracked egg spot..no hole at all..very quiet. After no progress, I made a hole last night, misted the eggs and left them. This morning still no progress, but I could hear peeps. A few minutes ago I peeled back the shell at the top and noticed 2 sacs. I pulled off the thick white sac around the top, and the duckling was in a slimy sac partially stuck to it, unable to move. I carefully took the sac off and the duckling stretched out. I was careful not to pull any part of the sac that looked bloody on the inside. I misted the baby and egg placed it back in the incubator. I opened the end of the other egg, hoping it will get out on its own. I also misted the other eggs. Humidity is staying at 65%, temperature 99.5.

I am worried that the rest of babies are trapped in the eggs. What should I do now?

STOP MISTING THEM, it sounds like they are sticky. You need to send me a pic of what you have done. I need to see what your seeing. Please stop misting them, if they are sticky you don't want them more sticky!!

You can send me a pic by text if you want. Let me know ill pm you.

Last edited:
STOP MISTING THEM, it sounds like they are sticky. You need to send me a pic of what you have done. I need to see what your seeing. Please stop misting them, if they are sticky you don't want them more sticky!!

You can send me a pic by text if you want. Let me know ill pm you.

I misted them because I didn't want the sac to dry on them. I'm showing a pic of the first that was "glued" together by the exposed sac that I helped (on the right the other I peeled off the end

I misted them because I didn't want the sac to dry on them. I'm showing a pic of the first that was "glued" together by the exposed sac that I helped (on the right the other I peeled off the end

They look like they are not ready yet, there's a lot of blood. That's not yolk it looks like his vent and it looks swelled. Leave the one on the right alone. Flip him, the needs to be on his belly not his back.

Back
Top Bottom