Incubating Chick Math

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HugHess, Aug 25, 2014.

1. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Ok, my Chick 'math' is giving me, what feels like, multiple ischemic attacks...
    I am one day away from lock down and I am unsure how to 'beat' the humidity Beast! Please HELP!
    My records show me that the bator had been in the early to later 40% on the new hygrometer. Not including the first 2.5 days as both my meters were not correct, in the least. Both on the low side of normal.
    For the next ten days my temps were quite stable, that is, until BF decided to turn a/c on and reek havoc with my wafer's fight to control temp. .
    The house is about the size of some people's living room ;), cottage is how they like to sell it, match box is how I like to tell it...
    So moved bator to BR, where the humidity and temp. is higher, but much more stable
    So it took me a couple days of sleepless nights and hawk-eyed days to fiddle with temp gauge.

In the meantime, I have weighed my eggs three times, 1st day just before they went into bator, on day 11 and then again on day 15.
    Day 15 was earlier than I had planned but my air cells were not along the lines of the charts, they seem on the small side and it was making me paranoid....especially with median rate of mid 40's for humidity. Right?

Here is the first thing that is making me really crazy...I started out with 9 LF eggs with a weight range between 1.6oz and 1.9oz. in my Hova Bator still air

After the second weigh-in the remaining eggs lost between .1 to .2 oz.
    Loss % was between 5.88 and 10.52...why such a disparity?
    Now, after the third time, my eggs have lost an average of .2 to .3 oz. from original weight.
    Loss % now between 10.5 and 16.6.

So,? they are all over the 'normal' range of weight loss.
    Two below avg., two within range, and three 'way' above?!
    Air cells seem on the slow to somewhat below normal size (like I'd know, I have never done this before).
    Now I know I have one day left before lock down, but....as the crazy lady I am quickly becoming...
    I can hardly imagine what it might feel like to get that far only to suffocate or drown....or, more than stupid, to suffocate and drown!
    Humidity had now been between 47 and 51% since I first moved them, and has averaged 43% since yesterday.
    So, how do I adjust for humidity when they are all over the place!?!? [​IMG]

Also, should I split the difference after lock down by putting humidity around 50-55% ?

(oK... IT people, as soon as you get all the bugs worked out of newest update, will you please put an emoji w/a straight jacket on here! Lol!)
    None of them describe my 'splitting' personality between semi-normal and outright bonkers...
    I should be weaving baskets, like that song of old, within the week at this rate!

Unless some kind soul out here 'sets' me straight [​IMG]

BTW: My first, well ok, fourth thought was 'chill' OUT and let it be...but if I could do that, well then I wouldn't be out here ready to beg for any sage input on whether or not I am overthinking this... and/or if this is indeed normal for a 'clutch' of eggs, bated together, to have up to a 50% difference in weight loss, especially when there is no major difference in egg size?!

Am I done, ? yea-yeah, I think I am done. Overdone... Twice baked!
    WELL done, if left to my own devices...just don't want to be the newbie 'surrogate' from 'hell'...

Sorry so long, therapy session complete now...

Love you guys...thanks for all the sanity (up to this point).

Thanking anyone and everyone in advance...I think I can take it? One for the little gippers, anyway.

2. latenighter

latenighter Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    I just completed my first hatch. On day before lockdown I had small aircells . day of lockdown they were much larger, but still small. I hatched 22 out of 25. I fought humidity the whole time. I used dry hatch and couldn't get my humidity below 65%

3. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Thank you, as I see a slight sliver of sanity creeping back in with your post!
    I, too, am going the dry hatch route (obvious as it may be, I can't believe I forgot to mention that in that lonnng thread) but have been relatively lucky with humidity,
    I hope?
    Congrats on your chicks btw!
    I think I just felt 20#'s fall off each shoulder, I appreciate your reply. Will definitely sleep better tonight.

4. latenighter

latenighter Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    Happy to help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by