Incubating Chicken eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickensaresweet12345, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Chickensaresweet12345

Chickensaresweet12345 New Egg

Jun 18, 2011
    Hi Im new to this! Ive kept Warrens for a long time and I wanted to get some other chickens, i arranges a time to visit at a local farm in Feburary who breeds and raises chickens, he was happy to sell me some chickens but he also told me that I could raise from an egg, i thought this idea was brilliant, I came home looked ont he internet and thought yeah Id have a try!
    I done a fair bit of reading bought a 6 egg incubator (automatic) and after a little more research contacted the farmer who said he would collect some eggs and let me know when he has 6 fertile, He called me tuesday and said they were ready for collection, I went collected them, left them stand till wednesday night, put them in the incubator and noticed yesterday morning that they has developed "bubbles" of fluid on the ends.

I called hte farmer and he said he has never used an incubator to raise chicks he leaves them with the hen, but if they are losing fluid then they are probably gone. I dont want to candle them as i dont want to handle them without cause just yet besides I dont think I would know what to look for. This is day 3 of the incubation could they still be fine?

Ive looked on the internet and cant find anything at all! the fluid has left little bubbles that looks like they have dried up now and is mainly on the ends and a few bits in the middle, it wasnt there when I got them, and they were definatly fertile. the humidity is reading fine as is the temp. any ideas

2. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    are you sure that's not just the air cell? because air cells are completely normal. in fact, they're SUPPOSED to be there. but do you mean there is more than one bubble? do the bubbles float around or do they stay in one spot when you turn the egg?

3. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like yoou are talking about drops forming on the outside of the egg?? Did you add hot water? Maybe it could be condensation from hot water, combined with air expanding from the heat inside the egg? You did set them pointed end down?? Just a few guesses......stan

4. Chickensaresweet12345

Jun 18, 2011
    Hi I just checked the eggs, they are outside the shell, The one egg still has some liquid ontop of it, which is sticky, the others have the substance on it, but its stuck to either end of the eggs and on the sides of some, It is hard almost like dry PVA. I havent messed about with them too much just put them back in,

No I used water that i set at room temp, although it obviously evaporates, the eggs dont have "water dropelts"on them at all!

THanks for your replys

5. Chickensaresweet12345

Jun 18, 2011
    Yes pointed ends down!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by