Incubating chicken eggs!

Zanlm

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 2, 2014
I am on my 2nd hatch with my home made bator. I am wondering what everyone thinks is the best but cheapest way to completely hatch out eggs and get a really good hatch rate.
Meaning what all should one really have. All pics are welcomed and enjoyed as well!

Thanks Lori

My advice would be as follows -

A good thermometer

A hygrometer for measuring humidity

Good turner or if hand turning, turn at least 5 times per day

Good quality hatching eggs from healthly well fed parent stock

A fan in the incubator for good air distribution and even temperature

For a forced air incubator (fan) incubate at 37.5 Celsius
For stil air (no fan) incubate at 101 farenheight

Humidity day 1-18 45%, day 18 onwards at lockdown 65%

Good luck :fl

I'd say at least 2 or 3 thermometers so you can put them in different areas of the incubator simultaneously to check for hot or cold spots. Also something to test your thermometers and thermostat against for accuracy. I use a baby thermometer that is guaranteed accurate within 2/10's of a degree to check mine. I would also suggest a good hygrometer that has been tested for accuracy before you put it to use.

I'd say at least 2 or 3 thermometers so you can put them in different areas of the incubator simultaneously to check for hot or cold spots. Also something to test your thermometers and thermostat against for accuracy. I use a baby thermometer that is guaranteed accurate within 2/10's of a degree to check mine. I would also suggest a good hygrometer that has been tested for accuracy before you put it to use.
x2 I'm with Aphrael on that one. Learned the hard way.... never trust just one, plus if you can place them at different spots in the bator you can better judge if you have any warm or cold spots.

Thanks guys! Should I invest in a good flashlight for candeing or could I just use my iPhone flashlight?

So I was reading on here last night and saw where someone downloaded itourch for the iPhone. So I did and it worked ok but I'm gonna look for a better flashlight today!

Today is day 20 on my 3 little eggs! Say a
1f64f.png
that they all make it! Hope I'm lucky to see some move my today!

Back
Top Bottom