incubating chickens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by twotmama, Feb 4, 2009.

1. twotmama

twotmama Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    I recently bought a incubator and have the temperature at 99.8 , turn my eggs twice a day and spray them twice a day and they just aren't hatching. They were put in Jan.10 and they're chicks; I know they're fertile and the eggs feel lighter; any suggestions?

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    what kind of bator do you have? an what is your humidty at? and why are you just turning them twice aday?

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Lots of possibilities...how good is it keeping that temperature and have you varified that temp with another thermometer? Define turning a little better...and what do you mean spraying...like with a spray bottle putting a mist on them?

How do you know they are fertile? Did you candle or what?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Chicken eggs do not need to be misted like duck eggs. Recommended hand turning is 3-5 times a day, but more often is ok.
    Temps should be read with a reliable thermometer, and kept at 99.5 -100.5°F for forced air (with a fan) or about 102°F above the eggs for still air.
    Humidity also should be read with a reliable hygrometer, and the range is usually around 45-55% for the first 18 days, then bumped to 65-75% for the last three days when you stop turning.

If they were due on the 31st, then they are likely not going to hatch. Candle them to see if you see any development or movement... if not, and you're curious, you can gently open them from the big end and see if there's anything going on in there.

5. twotmama

Feb 4, 2009
    iwas told in a still air incubator to turn eggs twice a day, i don't have an automatic turner and i spray with warm water according to the books i have read it helps with the humidity and the incubator is a stirafoam job from a feed store and i just know to keep water in the tracks in the stirafoam base i am very green at this and i am still learning. I have used a light and checked the eggs ; i have several very active roosters they are all fertile just by looking at them and they are feeling more solid than like an egg.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Don't spray the eggs with water... use a sponge or folded paper towel to hold the water. It sounds like the humidity has been too high.

7. twotmama

Feb 4, 2009
    I had no idea the humidity was so important and what is a hygrometer?

8. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    if you go to wal-mart you can get temp/ humidty guage for about $6.00 and then that will help you on your hatches.

9. twotmama

Feb 4, 2009
    thanks for all the help it seems i have been doing it all wrong so depending on the humidity and the temperature the eggs have a 50/50 chance of hatching and turning is important i know but i am just afraid of stressing the egg

10. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't get discouraged it took me a couple of attemps to get it right. I do recommend that you check and see if an automatic turner could be added to your brand of incubator. The humidity is much easier to regulate if you don't have to open the bator several times a day to turn the eggs. Turners are not that expensive but manually turning will still work. Once you are successful you will be hooked on hatching chicks. Good luck and keep your chin up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by