incubating day 11 & had a power outage HEEELLLPPPP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ventura974, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Ventura974

Ventura974 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    New England
    I'm incubating 12 eggs for my first time temp has been between 100° to 102° & humidity has been between 55% to 61%. My question is we had a power outage been without power for bout four hours now what can I do to help my eggs the temp has dropped to about 86° & the humidity has shot up to 88%. Will the eggs be ok? I candled them yesterday & they all looked like they were coming along fine. Please help.

2. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    wht kind of bator do you have? still air or forced air?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  3. DaftaboutDucks

DaftaboutDucks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Ontario
    Do you have a generator. We had a power outage(36 hours) when the chicks were under a week old & under heat lamp @ 95F. We have the generator to fall back on if we have another cause we have eggs in the bator now. From my reading I think that a few hours is ok. I hope someone with more incubating experience will answer you. This is only our second attempt @ incubating. My fingers are crossed for you. [​IMG]

4. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Might be time to use your body heat.I read about people sticking them in bras and shirts.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Don't give up. I have had that happen. Last winter on our coldest night we lost power. It was around 2 weeks into incubation. The power had already been off for a couple of hours when I discovered the power was off, my incubator temp was 78 degrees. Luckily I had a battery pack and an inverter. I plugged the incubator into it and got the temp back up. After a couple of more hrs the power came back on. I candled the eggs and saw movement. I still had a good hatch.

6. Ventura974

Apr 19, 2011
    New England
    The incubator I have is home made out of styrofoam and a lightbulb. It's still air n I have sponges in water for humidity. I put a couple of tealights inside hopefully that will raise the temp a bit. Will keep yall posted. Wish I had a generator or a vattery pack so I could plug my bator in. Will keep ya'll posted.

7. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    do you have a quilt tht you can wrap around it? tht will hold temp for you and humidity [​IMG]

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You can get a battery pack and inverter at Wal-Mart in the Auto Dept.

9. Ventura974

Apr 19, 2011
    New England
    Well finally got the power back around 4:30 this mornin. Kept the temp up around 93° w the help of tea lights and about 80% humidity. Will candle again tonight or tomorrow hopefully my chickies will be ok. Will lef u know what happens come hatching time. Thanks for all the tips ya'll

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by