Incubating different batches in same incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Work4life5572, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Work4life5572

Work4life5572 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with starting the incubating process,then adding more eggs later on.im thinking that this might not work I only have incubator and it is filled with about half of its capacity.i would like to add more eggs but I'm wondering if I should just wait until these go through the process.

2. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    I'm new to the incubation process, but I put in a couple eggs on one day and then added a few more 2 days later (when I had more eggs available). The chicks can survive in the incubator for 2-3 days after they've hatched, so if you're past a couple days in, I would say to wait.

3. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    The problem will be in last 3 days (lock down) when you your humidity should be higher to assist with hatching, could negatively impact the eggs that aren't at that stage yet. Also the newer eggs will still need to be turned therefor opening the incubator a few times a day when you should be leaving it closed and untouched to keep humidity and temps as stable as possible for the hatching eggs. Also keeping eggs for 21 days until the hatch is complete will produce terrible results as well. Some people will only collect eggs for 3-4 days hatching some a week.

4. Work4life5572

Work4life5572 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    Ok,thanks for the response i was thinking that might not be a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by