incubating diffrent bird eggs at in the same bator???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shmooborp, Jun 16, 2008.

1. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

anyone ever incubated ... like... duck eggs and chicken eggs in the same bator together? or something similar?

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    It's very hard to do duck/goose with chicken/quail. The temps may be the same, but the humidity and length of incubation are different. It is not recommended.

3. shmooborp

wellll i have a hatcher and an incubator.. so if i put the duck eggs and chicken eggs in the incubator and then put the chicken eggs in the hatcher on day 18 so i dont have to desterb the duck eggs while they are still incubating.. and let them hatch seperatly.. i was told that the humidity was the same.. [​IMG]

4. PearlD

PearlD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Northwest Alabama
    I've done that before. I just hiked up the humidity after taking the other eggs out.

5. shmooborp

did it work??
    and by other eggs u mean chicken eggs right?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  6. PearlD

Apr 15, 2007
    Northwest Alabama
    [​IMG] Oh...sorry.....[​IMG] yes...I think I had 6 of 8 to hatch.....but I do stuff like that all the time. You may not want to listen to me!!!! I have juggled geese/quail, ducks/chickens, turkey/quail....etc. Not your typical standard of incubation!!! I will say that any waterfowl requires alot of extra humidity, so I have crammed wet paper towels in there with them, before they were due to hatch.

My 'nontypical' incubation methods [​IMG] are working for me this year, because my last 4 hatches were 100%!!![​IMG]

7. shmooborp

SWEET! so what did u keep the humidity at while u had the chicken eggs in with them and then what did u bump it up to?

8. PearlD

Apr 15, 2007
    Northwest Alabama
    [​IMG] I feel a little resistant giving any incubation advice..........I usually do my own thing and hope it works!!

Honestly, and this is JUST ME now....I had such a horrible time last year with my hatch rates, I decided that this year I would try something new. I read the article posted on here somewhere as a 'sticky' about dry incubation, and thats what I have done for the past couple of months. I have modified it to fit my busy lifestyle......which means, I have forgotten to add any water at all. [​IMG]

I also bought turners and fans, which has made such a difference. I just fling some extra moisture in there in the form of paper towels or sponges, and hope for the best! I think my highest humidity was 45%.

Now, keep in mind that I haven't hatched any ducks this year, simply because lasts years crew dug the foundation out from under the house and my husband swears to eat any duck that wanders our way. But my geese hatched 'okay'......I probably could have put the humidity to 60-70%.....but I was gone alot with baseball stuff for my son. I think your ducks should develop okay with other eggs.....its just the wet ending that is important!!!!

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Wow... I'd always heard that it was very difficult to do... either you guys are extremely lucky, or all the other people that have tried it were extremely unlucky. Hey, whatever works! [​IMG]

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Hey shmoo-you happen to know someone with an extra LG that she'd loan to you so that you could have 2 bators going at once, and a hatcher! Hmmmmmmm....who could it be.......[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by