Incubating dirty eggs?

yuaan

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 22, 2013
Hello guys ,

I need opinion on dirty egg incubation . Today I have purchase some serama eggs from a local breeder. I have 12 eggs in total . Majority of the eggs are very dirty as they have poop on them. I have read that the eggs should not be washes as they have natural protecting cover on them . State of the keeping the chicken was horrible where he has kept them in dirty cages in his garage.
The only reason I have bought them from is as he is very local to me and I have already tried eggs from ebay and all of them had detached air sacs and after candelling the eggs only one egg had baby in but dead circle. Any way please give suggestion what should I do as I have placed the eggs in incubator today and its been 9 hours so far.

Many Thanks
Alex

I did not get what are you trying to say about bumping the eggs?

I am so sorry but I am not good with internet , how can I do this ?
btw . I have scraped some of the poop off the eggs without using water , I know it might be very disgusting but I have used my nails to scrape the pop off the eggs

chicken mania means bumping the thread, not the eggs. Then more people will see this thread before it slide down the page.

Dirty eggs are not ideal, but cleaning them is worse IMO.

I have had dirty eggs hatch ok, what I have done is remove large pieces with some very light scratching with a finger nail. I am only talking about clumps here, not smear or small pieces. Don't use water or anything else.

What you need to avoid firstly is breaking the shell, secondly is pushing anything into the pores of the shell, so be gentle, if in doubt leave it alone.

My last hatch had some very dirty eggs, they did much better than shipped eggs I have received, and once you have some of your own eggs you can raise them nice and clean for yourself.

Once they are under way, candle them as usual, if any start to smell bad them remove them.

As for reporting the 'breeder', well that's up to you, you saw the conditions the birds were in so only you can make that call.

To be honest with you I would not want my chicken to be kept in cages and especially not in dirty environment where there is not direct sunlight. I felt bad for them . I like to see my chicken in garden running around and when I go to the coop I like to see a clean coop every time

We've had broodies get their eggs dirty when they're setting them, and they still hatch ok. Chickens can be pretty resilient. We don't use the incubator very often, but I think as long as you remove the dirty egg shells once the chickies hatch, it wouldn't be a problem really.

Back
Top Bottom