incubating double yolker?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EricH, Sep 12, 2010.

1. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    Just curious, double yolk = double nutrients right? i would still think that they wouldnt incubate properly... is that so? anyone ever try it?

2. fanov8

fanov8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    East TN
    double yolk = twins I just set my first set to hatch and there was a double yolker in it that I didn't realize until I candled somewhere around day 7. One died around that day and the other died around day 8-9. There is a post around here somewhere of a double yolker being hatched out, I'll see if I can find it. If not then I'm sure someone else knows where it was. I can tell you that I will not ever set another double yolker, I will candle first to make sure any large eggs are just large singles and not a double. It's heart breaking to see them develop and not make it. I know that several others have gotten them to lockdown and then they died before pipping. There isn't much room for 2 of them in there so my understanding is that they don't really have the room to pip. I'm certain that there are others that are more knowledgable but hopefully I helped some [​IMG]

3. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    ah i see, that is sad. didnt think it'd work out too well.. seems pretty cramped for one.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hi, There has been a recent thread on this topic, and I speak from experience.

I tried to hatch a double yolker. I started to incubate it and ThEN looked at the literature. Mine died at about day 14/15. There are a couple of youtube videos pf how to hatch double yolkers that make it that far, so it does occasionally happen, but it's rare.

Sandie

5. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:Very good post!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by