1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating duck and chicken eggs together??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jenifer72, May 4, 2010.

1. Jenifer72

Jenifer72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Iowa
    Can I incubate duck and chicken eggs together? It seems like I remember that duck eggs need more humidity but I cant remember for sure....any help?

2. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I incubate both together but I start the ducks a week early because they take longer to hatch....

3. Jenifer72

Mar 19, 2010
    Iowa
    Quote:So the ducks take 28 days? Lockdown and all is the same as the chickens? 3 days before expected hatch.....18 days chickens and the 25th day for the ducks...correct?

4. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    right I also mist the duck eggs everyday I have great hatches so it seems to work.

5. miniwhipkey

miniwhipkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2010
    Ducks need more humidity and higher temps. They also need to be hand turned and need to be misted. If you look on the duck message board, you can learn more. I wouldn't recommend incubating together.

6. Jenifer72

Mar 19, 2010
    Iowa
    Quote:Ok..thank you. I do have 2 incubators so I could do that. Thanks for the help.

7. Doc Henry

Doc Henry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgetown Tx
    I've hatched ducks chickens geese and quail in the same incubator without misting it can be done, but there are probably better ways. I also leave all the incubators at 99.5 degrees because I don't like messing with them and it seems everything can hatch at that temp.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have a couple duck eggs in with my chickens and they are developing nicely. [​IMG]

9. Jenifer72

Mar 19, 2010
    Iowa
    Quote:What humidity? I'm guessing 50% would be ok for both with 70% at lockdown?

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  10. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Quote:So the ducks take 28 days? Lockdown and all is the same as the chickens? 3 days before expected hatch.....18 days chickens and the 25th day for the ducks...correct?

Yes,I set my duck eggs in my turner same as my chicken eggs,I just set them a week earlier and I do everything the same as I do with a chicken hatch...no misting and my worst duck hatch was 8 out of 10 which I thought was very good.Right now I have 5 duck eggs in with my chicken eggs and all are developing.....Muscovy eggs are a different story.

Last edited: May 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by