Incubating Duck Egg --- Need Humidity for final days

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CountryMom, Jan 29, 2009.

1. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Ok, we are testing a duck egg for my FIL. He wanted to see if we could hatch them. Figured we could. However, we are in our final days and just moved tonight to the hatcher. I read that humidity needs to be up like 90 to 95%???? Is that right??? Any other advise on this appreciated.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I found this information...

"At 25 days after setting (Pekin eggs), the eggs are transferred to hatching trays, and if eggs are hatched in a separate machine, moved to the hatcher. Candle and remove eggs with dead embryos. At the time of transfer, the temperature of the hatcher should be set at 37.2°C (99°F) and the humidity set at 65% (88°F wet bulb). As the hatch progresses, and eggs begin to pip, increase the humidity to 80% (93°F wet bulb), and increase ventilation openings by about 50%. As the hatch nears completion gradually lower the temperature and humidity so that by the end of the hatch the temperature is at 36.1°C (97°F), and the humidity is at 70% (90°F wet bulb). Vents should be opened to their maximum setting by the end of the hatch. Remove ducklings from the hatcher when 90-95% of them are dry."
    http://www.duckhealth.com/hatcduck.html

Here is another one...
    http://www.duckeggs.com/hatching-eggs.html

3. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Thank you that helps. I could not find the info I followed to set these. I ended up with only one fertile, but as I said these are test eggs and from fairly young layers. I am on day 28, but then these are Muscovies and when I read about them it says they hatch anywhere from 33 to 37 days. So I waited until tonight to stop turning.

Thanks again!

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I am warming up a homemade bator to try and hatch some khaki and khaki x buff eggs. I figured I needed to know this anyhow.

It will be a small test hatch.

5. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Yes, my FIL and I thought a fun test too. Now he tells me tonight that one of the hens decided to set. So he has his own natural test going on over at his barn! LOL One thing about Muscovies is that they are broody!

Good Luck on your test hatching!

6. COChickens

COChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I have some Pure Buff ducks that are laying eggs like crazy and now I want to try and hatch them. Thanks for the good info on here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by