incubating duck eggs with hen eggs

chrischuck

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 23, 2012
afternoon all ,so the wife ordered some duck eggs which wasnt a problem but hen eggs i ordered just arrived and i have a full auto incy, humidty controoll and turning and i have a manual turn with no humidity controll, the problem i have is im going back to work on monday and she isnt comfortable with having to guess how much water to put in the channles in the octagon.

so im wondering if i can just put both setts of eggs in the full auto untill hatching of the hen eggs at which point i can move them to the other incy for hatching,i have read online about micro bacteria and how its not good to mix eggs in the incubator but ive also read that some people have done it and had no problems.Has anyone here successfully hatched both sets of eggs in the same incubator.

I have done it in an Octagon, but it is best to order the duck eggs a week before the chickens that way hatch day is the same. To stop turning the eggs the last week is not as important as the first couple of weeks of incubation. Hatch the chicks pull them out clean up as best you can and then wait for the ducks would be my suggestion.

I hatched 16-18 ducks in the exact situation so its not all bad.

Good Luck

the more i look into it the more i am seeing people have done this with success so i think this is what ill do thanks

Back
Top Bottom