Incubating Duck eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JJSmith, Jun 16, 2008.

1. JJSmith

JJSmith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2007
    I have a question, I set 12 Rouen eggs in the incubator, at day 14 removed 2 that were not growing. They were all moving and growing well, then they started hatching on me on day 25 (the day they were supposed to stop turning), so I turned the turner off and already had 4 pipped eggs. 2 hatched out and 2 seemed to have drown? Any answers to why there would have been so much fluid in the eggs? The one airsac seemed ok (no fluid) but the chick had broken the egg but did not seem to penetrate the airsac, then just died? I have only one more in there that is showing any signs of life when I candle, any ideas? Was my humidity too high? Throughout the incubation it sat between 30-50% and I inceased it to 50% when I noticed they were hatching early?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Ducks need a higher humidity for incubation. I keep mine up around 65%. On day 25 I raise it to 85%.

You need the higher humidity believe it or not to help wick away moisture in the eggs.

3. JJSmith

JJSmith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2007
    Wow thanks, here I thought I had to have the humidity lower since there was so much extra fluid in there. Glad to have this forum, thanks Miss Prissy for you help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by