1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating Ducks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EmtheFishLady, Jan 21, 2011.

1. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    I've heard so many different things about incubating ducks eggs...Some people I've heard incubate them upright, others on their sides...How do you guys do it, and what are your results?

2. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
  3. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Yeah, I'd read over that too. That doesn't really address my question though...I've heard different things about how to lay the eggs during incubation. Some lay on their sides, some up and down. I kinda am hoping to get some people on here to tell me which method they use and their hatch rates....

4. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    I have incubated ducks once, when a lady gave me 2 ducks eggs from her flock

I also read so meny things , about humidity and temperature being so diferent from chickens

I had my incubator already running with chicken eggs so i had no other option than just put the duck eggs

I place them on the turner same as the chickens small point down

and the end both ducks hatched perfectly

The grew very big and very tame

5. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    See, I've heard that. But a few others said on their side made for a better hatch? Maybe more will chime in...

6. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I use a turner and never had issues with my chickens hatching, so I don't imagine issues with ducks.

In fact the literature for my egg turner states it fit's duck eggs as well. [​IMG]

7. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I use the turner on mine during incubation and then when we go into lockdown, I lay the eggs on their sides. I noticed that it seems easier for them to get out of the egg once they start to zip. I do this for my chickens too.

8. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    I hatched out my first duck eggs in Dec. I layed them down on their sides and hand turned them. Hatched 6/6. But I have heard many people use turners. [​IMG] Try posting on the duck thread.

9. I've heard so many different things about incubating ducks eggs...Some people I've heard incubate them upright, others on their sides...How do you guys do it, and what are your results?

Hi! Either way will work. I do both, depending on whether there is room in the incubator with a turner or not.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa​

10. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Laying them on their sides is what I do. Its the way the eggs would be in the nest- much more natural. I did have a lot of issues with my first two hatches - and when discussing them with a fellow breeder I was told to try them on their sides. So glad I did. When I recently upgraded my incubator- I bought one that has a roll turner. They are laying down- and rolled every four hours. Loving it. I have had a 98% hatch rate with duck eggs in the 5 or so months I have has this incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by