incubating egg has two air pockets? help me!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nataliab, Aug 16, 2013.

1. nataliab

nataliab Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    hi there my chicken egg is at day late day 12 early 13 (half egg black) and i candled it and it has the usual air pocket at the end of the egg for pipping or whatever and i must have left it too long at some point without turning and there is a small air pocket on the side of the egg (large end same as normal air pocket) and not that far away from the original air pocket. will this harm my baby chick when pipping?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It may cause problems later on, so I'd suggest placing the egg upright in the incubator (I'm assuming you are using an incubator). Place it in an egg carton with the bottom cut out and instead or turning, tilt it through a 90* angle, leaving the egg to rest at a 45* angle between tilts. This should encourage the small air pocket to move up into the fat end of the egg. Good luck with the hatch!

3. nataliab

nataliab Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    bad luck im afraid; eggs were rotten. ): lost them all.

4. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    I'm sorry you lost them. I just candled mine at Day 13, and found that I have one egg with two air sacs as well. I don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but this egg is extra large, and almost half again the size of all the other eggs. This is the first time I've ever seen (or even heard) of an egg with two air cells. But I do know for sure that it has a live embryo inside, as its movement is already easily detectable. So I'm leaving it alone and hoping for the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by