Incubating egg wrong side up

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lskinrud, Sep 3, 2014.

1. lskinrud

lskinrud Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2014
    My husband added an egg to my already incubating eggs and placed it big side down. Just noticed as it's day nine and wanted to candle. Is it to late to flip to small side down?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi, I would think it depends on how long it has already been sat with pointy end up. Also what day of incubation you are on. If it were mine I would candle the egg to see what the air cell looks like. And maybe gradually turn the right way up rather than do it all at once. Good luck with your eggs and hope everything turns out ok for you.:fl

3. lskinrud

Apr 15, 2014
    It's on day 9 and air cell looks good on fats side for which is down. Didn't know if it would grow wrong way and have difficult time hatching. Or if I turned now would I kill it as I see if moving

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    If it's only on day 9 I would give it a try by turning it over gradually maybe on its side first as if you would when hand turning eggs then gradually get in the right position its not as though you have only noticed at lockdown when the chick is getting in to position for hatching. You will never know if you don't give it a go. Good luck.

5. lskinrud

Apr 15, 2014
    Thanks, I've turned on its side and will turn a little more tomorrow. Thanks for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by