Incubating eggs a few questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by a123andpoof, Mar 24, 2012.

1. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Okay, so I got an incubator for my birthday in December and have been waiting to use it. I finally have the chance. My chickens are healthy again after fighting a resipitory problem that I guess was really common this year in my area due to the odd weather. So I am setting the incubator up tomorrow and plan to run it for a few days. Monday I am giving the coop a good cleaning so I have clean eggs. I have 3 rooster and tons of hens. The roosters are young but we think the eggs are fertilized.
    I have a silkie pair, and the others will be barred rock male with either red sex link, black sex link, or speckled sussex.

So Starting Monday I want to gather the eggs and I know they need to be kept at around 45-55 f and not refrigerated how would I go about this? The temps are supposed to start cooling down, but I am not sure it will be cool enough outside and the temps won't stay very stable. What are other options?

Is there a way to tell if they are fertilized before incubating or do I need to wait 3 or so days and candle. Is their a way to be sure the hens I want are getting fertilized? I really want a speckled hen x barred rock pair. Are any of my pairings a bad idea such as higher rates of deformities or any other such problem?

Any other suggestions/ helpful information/ links/ experiences with first hatches/ and anything that could be helpful for my first time would be great!

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Check an egg from each chicken. Break it open and look for a small white doughnut shape. That will let you know if they are all fertilized or not. Your basement would be a steady cool temperature to store your eggs in. We gathered for two weeks and left them at room temperature, here during heating season that's 65F during the day. Make sure to turn them a few times a day while storing. I use egg cartons a tilt them side to side by resting on a block.

3. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Thanks! And I will put them in the basement then. my basement stays around 70 that still okay? Yep know about the turing. Thanks for the tip on the egg carton! You have been very helpful thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by